Bienvenidos a todos

Letter from the Editors

Jacklyn Nowotnik and Robin Bridges

Bienvenidos a todos, Welcome everyone!

This warm welcome is extended to our readers, subscribers, communities, advocates, alumni, staff, students and university. Que Ondee Sola (QOS) finds itself in a very interesting state as this year’s staff is diverse in academic level, talent, experience, background and age. What does that have to do with QOS?.

As with many student organizations, the atmosphere and goals tend to change with leadership. With this in mind, the goal of this magazine is to stay true to its mission statement but become more inclusive to Latinx current events, communities, and culture so that readers that may not be so familiar with these things can become interested and start reading nuestras historias, our stories.

We believe that this is more important than ever as Northeastern Illinois University’s (NEIU) Latino student population is the second largest ethnicity in the student body, according to their Fall 2015 Enrollment Fact Sheet. We also hope to appeal to our student body as a whole. NEIU has international and undocumented students. There are almost four times as many undergraduates as there are graduates and a near even split between full-time and part-time students. The average age of a student being 27. As a staff, we hope that this historic magazine will find its way into the hands of many as we begin to plan our issues for the rest of the school year.

There are a lot of ideas floating around as many of the staff are new to QOS, with the exception of one of the Co-Editors-in-Chief who was a QOS staff writer between 2008 and 2010. Despite this being a new experience for many, we have some super exciting ideas. We plan to feature submissions from faculty,and strengthen our ties to the Latinx communities at NEIU and to our subscribers.

In addition to that, we are working more closely with the other media organizations on campus to network and share resources. We also plan to theme our issues around main ideas so that our magazine has an overall topic for each issue. With that said, we would like to welcome you into reading our first issue for fall 2016. This issue is dedicated to nuestras culturas, our cultures. We hope that you enjoy it and look forward to future QOS issues.

Gracias a todos, thank you all

Your Editors-in-Chief

Robin Bridges and Jacklyn Nowotnik